Re: PGCon 2008 RFP

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Bernier" <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGCon 2008 RFP
Date: 2008-12-28 20:55:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Robert Bernier
<robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> What do you think about the idea of standardizing all presentation slides
> and documentation? OSCON has been doing it for years. It would make for
> excellent contribution to postgresql.org documentation.

Standard templates aren't useful for presenters, and in many cases
encourage bad presentation behavior. I, as you might guess by that
intro, am not in favor of it.

Providing standard graphics that people can stamp on their slides,
however, to "brand" the slides as being from PgCon would be helpful
for the marketing of the conference.

Looking generally for a lasting documentation contribution -- It would
be nice to encourage attendees to take what they learn from
presentations and write/blog about them immediately and link back to
the individual session pages.

If there's a way to get coverage of most of the talks, I'd like to
figure out how we can make that happen. First step might be having all
members of the committee commit to one blog post during the
conference. And I'm not trying to pile work on everyone - just saying
that effort in any direction is more likely to pay off in the
blog-o-sphere than in template creation.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org