Booth report from LUG Radio Live

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selena(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "PostgreSQL Advocacy List" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Booth report from LUG Radio Live
Date: 2008-04-15 19:19:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy sfpug

Hello!

Thank you to our booth staffers:

Josh Berkus
Reece Hart
Jon Asher
Miho Ishikura
Mason Glaves

(and special thanks to Jon, who had a terrible cold!)

The show was a little smaller than we expected, but I had many
interesting conversations. I met at least 5 people from the SF area
who had not heard of SFPUG, and asked for information about how to
sign up for the mailing list. I spoke in depth with some Drupal
developers about how to get PostgreSQL more fully supported in their
modules.

We guessed there were about 300 people total at the conference. There
were several excellent talks - Matthew Garrett's "what's wrong with
power management on linux" was memorable, as was Allison Randal talk
on Parrot. I heard about an interesting tool called Review Board -
http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/, that may have some features the
-hackers/-patchers may be interested in.

Finally, several MySQL people were there - giving talks, and also just
in town for MySQLCon. They helped us set up our booth, and I ended up
explaining HOT to the second guy, John. John is giving a presentation
on PostgreSQL to some MySQL support engineers this week, so our
meeting was fortuitous!

I also talked with Reece, Mason and Miho about advocacy efforts -- one
awesome idea from Reece was "war chalking" businesses in the SF area
that use PostgreSQL. If you haven't heard of this - it is chalking a
stencil on the sidewalk in front of businesses. We'd probably use the
elephant and maybe create a short, sneaky URL.

I have lots of other notes that I need to parse through with tons
of interesting -advocacy ideas.

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx