Mtg Recap: Extreme DB Makeover: RT

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PDX PostgreSQL Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>, code-n-splode(at)googlegroups(dot)com
Subject: Mtg Recap: Extreme DB Makeover: RT
Date: 2008-02-27 18:55:05
Lists: pdxpug

Just posted a meeting summary (see end of this message). Feel free to
correct and augment :)

Also - great to see Len Shapiro from PSU come out!

We also had Ben and Ben, Randal, Len, Sam, Amy, Audrey, Gab, a new
guy! (sorry, didn't write down your name), David, Jeff, Mark, Igal and
me. Anyone I forgot?

Honorable ticket tracking mentions: Redmine, Hiveminder, Sticky Notes

I had a great conversation at the Side Door with Amy about the web
circa 1993. Woo! I, for one, am glad the Wayback Machine doesn't go
back that far.

Thanks everyone for coming out! If you'd like to do more Extreme
Database Makeovers, please get in touch. I think we worked out some
kinks in the format, and could try it again with another group of
refactorers.

David plans on posting his notes later on today. I'll link them from
the blog posts.

----

http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/161

Last night, PDXPUG and Code-n-Splode got together to refactor the
database for RT. David Wheeler, Jeff Davis and Mark Wong led the
discussion.

Through the course of the meeting, the group chose to pick out a few
key features that would be better served if the database schema was
more normalized, and offered a few new constraints we thought would
help manage the data. Toward the end of the meeting, Igal suggested
having a Perl workshop to refactor the code related to one or more of
the database changes. The idea here was to be helpful, rather than
just poking holes in the schema.

David started the discussion off with an introduction to RT. RT was
created about 10 years ago by Jesse Vincent of Best Practical, and the
database schema has been augmented over the years to accommodate new
functionality. They support both MySQL and PostgreSQL as backends, and
tend to dislike using database-specific technology.

... (more on the website)

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group