Re: User group liaison

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User group liaison
Date: 2008-01-17 18:26:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Magnus,

On Jan 17, 2008 9:33 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> Obviously, this is one of those days when I am entirely unable to get my
> points across in written conversation :-)
>
> Disregard whatever I've been saying in this thread, as it obviously came
> across completely different from what I meant.

I think you raised two fair questions -- 1) am I going to be active
globally? and 2) what benefit does giving me a title provide to
PostgreSQL, given that as far as you can see I haven't been all that
visible to the developers that you know.

As far as being active globally, I am on the -eu mailing list and
follow what's happening with the UK, Italian, French, German and now
the EU groups. There's some coordination already for events, speakers
and resources, but I certainly could do more.

We started work on a 'user group operating manual' a while back, and
it will be finished soon! I could start tracking and promoting all
user group events, not just the conferences. I have other ideas for
increasing communication and connectedness.. but those are two obvious
items that can be completed shortly.

Your other question: what benefit does the community receive if I get
this title?

The title adds legitimacy when I'm interacting with people who are not
already part of our community. Part of this role is outreach to
people who have not necessarily been vocal on mailing lists or IRC, or
maybe are new to PostgreSQL entirely. I want to bring together
existing users and developers with some new people and ultimately,
encourage the new folks to participate in the development effort.

And as far as all the developers that I haven't met or talked with
yet, I look forward to meeting as many as I can in the next few years.
:) Probably not Jason Calcanis-style (http://tinyurl.com/ys8ocq),
but I'll do the best I can.

-selena
--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group