PostgreSQL Performance meeting Recap - meetup tonight, conference saturday!

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgresql PDX_Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Performance meeting Recap - meetup tonight, conference saturday!
Date: 2007-10-19 18:09:46
Lists: pdxpug

Hello!

Just a reminder -- we are meeting tonight at 7pm at Paddy's - 65 SW
Yamhill, Portland OR 97204

The Yamhill District Max stop is about 1/2 a block from the front door
(if that!).
http://tinyurl.com/3xusz2

Saturday is the conference!! At PSU, Engineering Building room 102.
Address is: 1940 SW 4th Ave.

-selena

--

Last night's meeting was attended by a hardy few. We had two new folks
- Nick and Steve.

Mark gave a great presentation on performance monitoring using systems
tools. I learned several delightful things that I'll save writing
about until after the conference. He covered how to find process
information and what SQL statements are being executed. He also talked
about finding statistics related to your tables and briefly
highlighted some interesting columns in the stats tables.

We also had a lengthy discussion about PgSNMPd's capabilities and the
pros/cons of writing your own MIB and non-standard monitoring scripts.

I also asked about function profiling and whether this might help me
identify functions which were performing poorly. The profiling
capability is actually only to give manual hints to the Planner - not
to actually guess how long a function might take to run. I thought it
would be interesting to have a tool which tracked the duration of
particular functions (not queries!) and gave a TopN report of runtime
and frequency.

Jeff Davis is working on an interesting script for monitoring the WAL.
I tried to suggest a few trending graphs that might help. We also
talked about instrumentation in general, and how there is a need for
more work related to it in the PostgreSQL community.

Then we went to the Lucky Lab for a few delicious beers.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group