Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporal query processing with range types

From: Peter Moser <pitiz29a(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Anton Dignös <anton(dot)dignoes(at)unibz(dot)it>, Johann Gamper <gamper(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it>, Michael Böhlen <boehlen(at)ifi(dot)uzh(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporal query processing with range types
Date: 2016-10-25 09:44:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27.07.2016 at 16:09 Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Anton Dignös <dignoes(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it> wrote:
>> We would like to contribute to PostgreSQL a solution that supports the query
>> processing of "at each time point". The basic idea is to offer two new
>> operators, NORMALIZE and ALIGN, whose purpose is to adjust (or split) the
>> ranges of tuples so that subsequent queries can use the usual grouping and
>> equality conditions to get the intended results.
>
> I think that it is great that you want to contribute your work to
> PostgreSQL. I don't know whether there will be a consensus that this
> is generally useful functionality that we should accept, but I commend
> the effort anyhow. Assuming there is, getting this into a state that
> we consider committable will probably take quite a bit of additional
> work on your part; no one will do it for you.

Hi hackers,

thank you for your feedback.

We are aware that contributing to PostgreSQL is a long way with a lot
of work. We are committed to go all the way and do the work as
discussed in the community.

We had some internal discussions about the project, looking also at
some other patches to better understand whether the patch is
work-in-progress or ready for commitfest.

> If you're still
> interested in proceeding given those caveats, please add your patch
> here so that it gets reviewed:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

We decided to follow your recommendation and add the patch to the
commitfest.

Looking forward for your feedback,
Anton, Johann, Michael, Peter