Re: Users/Roles do not align.

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: jbird(at)nuna(dot)com
Subject: Re: Users/Roles do not align.
Date: 2020-02-04 06:39:50
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Based on this, I believe Section 5.9 should read:
> `A PostgreSQL database cluster contains one or more named databases. Roles
> are shared across the entire cluster, but no other data is shared across
> databases. Any given client connection to the server can access only the
> data in a single database, the one specified in the connection request.`

imo the following is a more precise wording:

'A cluster contains three or more named databases ('template0',
'template1', 'postgres', ...). Roles, which are users or groups, see
Chapter 21, - as well as database names and tablespace definitions - are
shared across the entire cluster. No other data is shared across
databases or schemas. Any given client connection to the server can
access only the data in a single database, the one specified in the
connection request. If it has the necessary privileges, the connection
can access all schemas within this database.'

And the last sentence of the paragraph behind 'Note' shall be extended,
because schemas are rigidly separated from each other - only the access
to different schemas is easily done from a single connection.

'Unlike _access to_ databases, _access to_ schemas is not rigidly
separated: a _connection_ can access objects in any of the schemas in
the database they are connected to, if they have privileges to do so.'

J. Purtz