Re: Patch: Range Merge Join

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas <thomasmannhart97(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, boehlen(at)ifi(dot)uzh(dot)ch, dignoes(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it, gamper(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it, P(dot)Moser(at)noi(dot)bz(dot)it
Subject: Re: Patch: Range Merge Join
Date: 2021-06-11 02:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2021-06-10 at 15:09 +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> It shouldn't be a blocker for you, but just so you're aware, there
> was
> a previous proposal for this in [1] and a patch in [2]. I've include
> Jeff here just so he's aware of this. Jeff may wish to state his
> intentions with his own patch. It's been a few years now.

Great, thank you for working on this!

I'll start with the reason I set the work down before: it did not work
well with multiple join keys. That might be fine, but I also started
thinking it was specialized enough that I wanted to look into doing it
as an extension using the CustomScan mechanism.

Do you have any solution to working better with multiple join keys? And
do you have thoughts on whether it would be a good candidate for the
CustomScan extension mechanism, which would make it easier to
experiment with?

Regards,
Jeff Davis