Re: XQuery support

From: Matthias Brantner <matthias(dot)brantner(at)28msec(dot)com>
To: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XQuery support
Date: 2010-02-17 07:23:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been playing around with Zorba and xQilla today. I couldn't actually get Zorba to build on my system. It looks like the two share a common (or similar) C API though.
Yes, Zorba and XQilla both implement the XQC API. It was developed by
the Zorba and XQilla teams in a joint effort. The project itself is hosted on sf at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xqc/. A brief intro doc can be found at
http://www.zorba-xquery.com/doc/xqc_intro.pdf.

> Zorba also had perl, Python, Ruby and PHP bindings (which I also couldn't get to work) but would be nice to be able to use from plperl, plpython, plruby also.
It would be great if we could work together on this over at the zorba-users list.

> If it were possible to drop the xerces dependency from Zorba and use libxml2 for parsing, that would be a strong case for it. The other big dependency for Zorba was ICU for converting character sets. I'm not familiar with that part of Postgres. But it seems to me that we would have our own libraries for that sort of thing.
Please find answers to this in my previous email.

Thanks & best regards,

Matthias