metadata on a table

From: Malm Paul <paul(dot)malm(at)saabgroup(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: metadata on a table
Date: 2010-05-19 06:43:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I'm trying to read the metadata from table to create the same sort of table in another database, using java.

This is how I do it today

quwstion = "SELECT * FROM table"
stmnt = dbConnection.prepareStatement(question);

rs = stmnt.executeQuery();

ResultSetMetaData rsMetaData = rs.getMetaData();
int numberOfColumns = rsMetaData.getColumnCount();
System.out.println("resultSet MetaData column Count=" + numberOfColumns);
int precision = rsMetaData.getPrecision(1);
String columnTypeName = rsMetaData.getColumnTypeName(1);
String name = rsMetaData.getColumnName(1);
String classname = rsMetaData.getColumnClassName(1);

The first object is the primary key with the name "fid",
columnTypeName = int4

I can see in the original table that fid has the type serial, which is an int4 (pgAdmin).
But when I create the table in the other database I would like to create it as serial not just int4, how can I know that it is a serial?

Kind regards,
Paul