Re: BUG #16171: Potential malformed JSON in explain output

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16171: Potential malformed JSON in explain output
Date: 2020-02-03 12:55:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> On 2 Feb 2020, at 17:48, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Thoughts?

Keeping TEXT explain stable across minor versions is very appealing, but more
so from a policy standpoint than a technical one. The real-world implication
is probably quite small, but that's a very unscientific guess (searching Github
didn't turn up anything but thats far from conclusive). Having broken JSON is
however a clear negative, and so is having a different JSON format in back-
branches for something which has never worked in the first place.

I guess I'm leaning towards backpatching, but it's not entirely clear-cut.

cheers ./daniel