RE: [SQL] Please help: How to determine largest of two numbers in a query?

From: Greg Youngblood <YoungblG(at)houstoncellular(dot)com>
To: "'David Hartwig'" <daybee(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>, Greg Youngblood <YoungblG(at)houstoncellular(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL SQL List'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [SQL] Please help: How to determine largest of two numbers in a query?
Date: 1998-12-03 19:19:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thank you for the advice..

Ideally I would like to write a function, but I am just learning Postgres
and not familiar with creating functions like "greatest_int".

In this case, the two values represent to different data streams. For the
information I need, I only need the greatest of the two.

To work around this, I've started using two separate SELECT statements with
the comparison as part of the WHERE command. I also just tried the SELECT ..
UNION SELECT .. command, and it appears to have worked.

Thanks,
Greg