Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Date: 2021-09-29 18:06:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2021-Sep-29, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Well, this was my suggestion, because if you don't do this, you get
>> drift, which I think looks weird. Like the timestamps will be:
>>
>> 13:41:05.012456
>> 13:41:15.072484
>> 13:41:25.149632
>>
>> ...and it gets further and further off as it goes on.'

> Right ... I actually *expect* this drift to occur. Maybe people
> generally don't like this, it just seems natural to me. Are there other
> opinions on this aspect?

FWIW, I agree with Robert that it's nicer if the timeout doesn't drift.
There's a limit to how much complexity I'm willing to tolerate for that,
but it doesn't seem like this exceeds it.

The real comment I'd have here, though, is that writing one-off
code for this purpose is bad. If we have a need for a repetitive
timeout, it'd be better to add the feature to timeout.c explicitly.
That would probably also remove the need for extra copies of the
timeout time.