Re: Server-side support of all encodings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server-side support of all encodings
Date: 2007-04-15 15:14:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> BTW, do we have to modify pg_dump or pg_restore so that it can
> automatically adjust JOHAB to UTF8 (it's the only safe encoding
> compatible with JOHAB)? I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Maybe
> documenting in the release note is enough?

Do we actually need to do anything? Dumps taken in client_encoding
JOHAB could exist regardless of the source server_encoding --- the
same is true of other client-only encodings. Such dumps should load
fine into a UTF8 server_encoding database, as long as we have the right
conversion available.

I can imagine someone wanting to take a dump in a client-only encoding
for other reasons (export of the data to somewhere else, say) so I don't
think pg_dump should try to prevent it.