Re: stack depth limit exceeded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jamie Deppeler <jamie(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: stack depth limit exceeded
Date: 2005-08-29 02:42:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Jamie Deppeler <jamie(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au> writes:
> At the moment i am trying to execute a very simple function but i am
> getting the following error stack depth limit exceeded

You didn't really show the complete context, but seeing that this is a
trigger and it's trying to do an "UPDATE person" internally, I'll bet
a nickel that the trigger itself is on update events on person, and
therefore that you've written an infinite recursion.

Had you shown more context, I could have given some advice on a better
way to do it. If you're trying to alter the row that's about to be
stored, you just have to assign to field(s) of the NEW row within the
trigger. If you want to do something else, you need to explain what.