Re: Timestamp weirdness

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, <emergency(dot)shower(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Timestamp weirdness
Date: 2005-07-26 18:05:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 26-Jul-05, at 1:51 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> You're saying that a timestampz read from the protocol stream on the
> server side is always parsed into a TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE. When it
> is assigned to a TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE, there is a cast. The
> cast
> converts the moment into the local time string for that moment in the
> time zone of the database server. I get that.
>
> My question (not well stated, I'm sure) was whether there is a way to
> know, on the server, at the point of handling the timestampz from the
> protocol stream, that it is going to be assigned to a TIMESTAMP
> WITHOUT
> TIME ZONE and use literal assignment rules (i.e., ignore the time zone
> info) instead of the cast rules. The next question was whether this
> would break existing code.
Sort of.... postgres has automatic casting rules, if you tell it that
it is going to be a timestamptz and
it is being assigned to a timestamp then there is a cast function
which is invoked, and vice versa

> It sounds like you're well along on another solution, so this becomes
> acedemic. I'm not sure how you're inferring a type with your
> approach,
> but I guess I was thinking that it might be possible to infer
> alternative types for a timestampz.
He is telling the server that he doesn't know what the type is
(INVALID) and the server is going
to cast it appropriately. Much like you do if you do "insert into foo
values('2005-01-01 03:15:34')