Re: autovacuum and reloptions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum and reloptions
Date: 2008-10-08 14:57:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On second look, however, the problem is that I seem to be
> forced to declare all the autovacuum-related options and their parsing
> properties in reloptions.c. This seems very ugly.

That was in fact the intended design, and is why the functions exist in
a separate file reloptions.c rather than having been dumped into some
existing place like heapam.c. I don't see anything very wrong with
having autovacuum options in StdRdOptions and default_reloptions().

There might at some point be a good case for inventing a plugin approach
here, but since autovacuum is a pretty much core component now, I don't
see the need to do so for it.