PostgreSQL not utilising available memory

From: Antony Paul <antonypaul24(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL not utilising available memory
Date: 2005-01-25 13:01:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,
I am running PostgreSQL 7.3.3 on a RHL 7.0 box with PIII and 512
MB RAM. Recenlty I upgraded the kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.4.28. Now the
problem is Postgres is using only half of the memory now while before
upgrading the kernel it was using full memory plus swap. If Postgres
use the full available memory will it run faster ?. I disabled
Higmemory support while compiling kernel.

>From Top

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 501 209 292 0 2 173
-/+ buffers/cache: 34 467