Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM
Date: 2008-02-15 15:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> In my workload, ANALYZE takes long time (1min at statistics_target = 10,
> and 5min at 100), but the updated table needs to be vacuumed every 30 seconds
> because seqscans run on the table repeatedly.

There is something *seriously* wrong with that. If vacuum can complete
in under 30 seconds, how can analyze take a minute? (I'm also wondering
whether you'll still need such frantic vacuuming with HOT...)

> So, I'm targeting only ANALZYE for now by changing ANALYZE to be ignored
> by VACUUM.

I think we need to understand what the real problem is with your test
case. This proposal seems very messy/ugly to me, and I'm unconvinced
that it solves anything.