Re: I/O support for composite types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I/O support for composite types
Date: 2004-06-05 19:15:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com> writes:
> Why not use standard C semantics for the textual representation with
> your addition that empty items are NULL?

This isn't C, it's SQL; and I think the array I/O representation is a
closer precedent for us than the C standard.

In any case, how much of C syntax are you proposing to emulate exactly?
Comments? Backslashed newlines? Joining of adjacent double-quoted
strings? Conversion of octal and hex integer constants (and what about
L, U, LL, etc suffixes)? There's a lot more stuff there than meets the
eye, and most of it isn't something I want to code.