Re: identify_locking_dependencies is broken for schema-only dumps

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: identify_locking_dependencies is broken for schema-only dumps
Date: 2014-09-24 20:36:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Sorry for not paying attention sooner. After studying it for awhile,
>> I think the change is probably all right but your proposed comment is
>> entirely inadequate.

> If you don't like that version, can you suggest something you would like better?

Perhaps like this:

* We assume the entry requires exclusive lock on each TABLE or TABLE DATA
* item listed among its dependencies. Originally all of these would have
* been TABLE items, but repoint_table_dependencies would have repointed
* them to the TABLE DATA items if those are present (which they might not
* be, eg in a schema-only dump). Note that all of the entries we are
* processing here are POST_DATA; otherwise there might be a significant
* difference between a dependency on a table and a dependency on its
* data, so that closer analysis would be needed here.