Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Keisuke Kuroda <kuroda(dot)keisuke(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords
Date: 2023-03-04 18:56:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> - I'm not sure if we should hard code in those
> three specific reserved keywords or set tmask
> in the default case.

I think we should tread very carefully about disallowing inputs that
have been considered acceptable for 25 years. I agree with disallowing
numeric fields along with 'epoch' and 'infinity', but for example
this seems perfectly useful and sensible:

# select timestamptz 'today 12:34';
timestamptz
2023-03-04 12:34:00-05
(1 row)

> Any thoughts?

Why do you want to skip ValidateDate in some cases? If we've not
had to do that before, I don't see why it's a good idea now.