Re: Additional psql requirements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional psql requirements
Date: 2008-07-25 19:54:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I just wanted an easy way to write install scripts that work on various
> releases/schemas/environments, works on core and on any platform.

The word "easy" is out of place in that sentence. Such scripts would
likely need information that's entirely outside the province of the
database proper --- directory paths, system names and versions, etc.
I really doubt that anything that could get accepted as a "database
scripting" feature would solve such problems.