Re: BUG #5478: ILIKE operator returns wrong result

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Markus <markus(dot)herven(at)outpost24(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5478: ILIKE operator returns wrong result
Date: 2010-05-28 16:50:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

BTW, while I'm looking at this, I notice that there was an oversight in
the change that made us throw an error for \ at the end of the LIKE
pattern. We throw error in the first code chunk that deals with \
but we don't do so here:

if (plen < 2)
return LIKE_FALSE;
firstpat = CHAR(p[1]);

In some cases the problem is masked because we'll eventually apply the
normal \ processing, but I think there are other cases where we'll reach
a LIKE_ABORT condition and return false without ever throwing the error.
Seems like this should be fixed. But should we back-patch that fix into
8.4? We didn't backpatch the original change for fear of breaking
existing apps, and the same argument could probably be made this time.
Should I change it in 8.4, or only 9.0?