Re: ERROR: could not read block

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu, icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: could not read block
Date: 2005-11-16 00:25:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

> ERROR: could not read block 1482762 of relation 1663/16385/16483:
> Invalid argument

> So the block number is increasing each time. I'm inclined to think
> that this is the result of the scan passing over rows added by itself.

It's just about impossible to believe that you would get an error at the
block I/O level due to a higher-level issue like "scan passing over rows
added by itself".

What I *could* believe, on the other hand, is that there's some problem
with reading blocks recently added to the file. As I said before, we
really really need to find out what the Windows-level error code is
--- "Invalid argument" isn't telling us anything useful here.