Re: Proposal: move column defaults into pg_attribute along with attacl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Proposal: move column defaults into pg_attribute along with attacl
Date: 2008-09-21 18:16:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org writes:
> pgadmin has some umm, interesting queries over pg_depends. It sounds
> like this change could complicate those. I doubt it's an
> insurmountable problem of course.

Yeah. But the only real point of the change is cleanliness, and if it's
injecting ugliness into clients then that argument loses a lot of its
force. I looked at pg_dump a bit and it definitely would get uglier
--- not really more complicated, but defaults would get handled a bit
differently from everything else. Seems like a fertile source of bugs.
So maybe we'd better forget the idea :-(