Re: Parallel query only when EXPLAIN ANALYZEd

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jay Knight <jay(at)jayknight(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel query only when EXPLAIN ANALYZEd
Date: 2016-09-30 16:47:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Jay Knight <jay(at)jayknight(dot)com> writes:
> I've tried this on a CentOS VM (VirtualBox on Windows) that I gave 2 cores,
> and it worked as expected (it launched workers with and without explain
> analyze), so I've only been able to reproduce this on Windows.

FWIW, I tried your original example on Linux yesterday, and it seemed to
work fine --- it only wanted to use 1 worker, but the speedup was just
about exactly 2X with or without "explain analyze". So this is somehow
Windows specific. That's darn odd; in a quick look at the relevant code
I see nothing that looks platform dependent.

Somebody will need to trace through this on Windows and see where it's
going off the rails.