Re: big text field -> message type 0x44

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tomas Berndtsson <tomas(at)nocrew(dot)org>
Subject: Re: big text field -> message type 0x44
Date: 2002-12-05 19:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Tom Lane writes:
>>> Okay, so it seems -D_REENTRANT is the appropriate fix.

> However, _REENTRANT is not a Solarisism... On all (recent) UNIX
> systems it toggles on correct handling for thread specific instances
> of historically global variables (eg errno). It should be considered
> for all platforms if libpq is intended to be used from threaded
> programs.

Now that I think about it, what that macro is probably really doing is
switching the code from looking at a static "errno" variable to looking
at a per-thread variable. So in fact -D_REENTRANT would be correct if
you intended to link with a thread-aware libc, and wrong if you intended
to link with a non-aware libc. (Is there such a thing as a non-threaded
implementation of libc on the platforms where -D_REENTRANT does
anything?) If this analysis is right then I think we should *not*
force _REENTRANT; it will have to be up to users to choose the mechanism
they want to use in their programs.