Re: Upgrading postmaster's log messages about bind/listen errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading postmaster's log messages about bind/listen errors
Date: 2017-03-10 20:32:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Uh, what's that got to do with it? I'm not proposing to downgrade this
>> message in 9.3, or indeed any current release branch. But it's hard
>> to believe that a 9.3 installation that had the problem would manage
>> to make it all the way to a v10 upgrade without the problem having been
>> fixed. Even if there's one or two incompetent DBAs out there whom
>> that would apply to, I don't think the rest of the world needs to keep
>> seeing this message by default.

> Well, you could take a broken 9.3 installation and pg_upgrade it to
> pg10. It wouldn't be any less broken.

Sure, but does the rest of the world need to keep looking at this message?
Anybody who's actually in that situation probably never looks at the
postmaster log at all.

I think that what would actually be of some use nowadays is a LOG-level
message emitted if the wraparound *isn't* activated immediately at start.
But otherwise, we should follow the rule that silence is golden.