Re: Possible patch to remove "triggered data change" support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible patch to remove "triggered data change" support
Date: 2001-11-13 01:37:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

> I assume we still need a queue for deferred triggers, right?

There's still a queue. But it saves fewer events for shorter intervals
than it used to. Example: in the present code, if you have *any*
deferred triggers (for INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE) on a rel then queue
entries are made for *all* triggerable events (INSERT, UPDATE, or
DELETE) on that rel. In the proposed patch, if you have only an AFTER
INSERT trigger then no queue entries are made for UPDATE or DELETE
events, etc. This has a direct bearing on the number of queue entries
made in RI scenarios, since the RI triggers are for subsets of events.