Re: query is taking longer time after a while

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query is taking longer time after a while
Date: 2009-09-30 01:58:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com> wrote:
> There has (over the last few years) been a lot of speculation from people
> who think that indexes may suffer performance degradation under some
> workloads.  I've yet to see any actual evidence.

Just last week I reindexed a 70+ million row table and shaved about
50% of the bloated index pages on a two integer column index. I
believe it hadn't been reindexed in about 6 months.

I regularly have to re-index for performance purposes. My data lives
on most tables for about 6 months and is then deleted, or lives
forever and is updated frequently.

I've commented about this many times before.