Re: multi-master pgbench?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multi-master pgbench?
Date: 2012-08-21 13:57:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I am thinking about to implement "multi-master" option for pgbench.
> Supose we have multiple PostgreSQL running on host1 and host2.
> Something like "pgbench -c 10 -h host1,host2..." will create 5
> connections to host1 and host2 and send queries to host1 and host2.
> The point of this functionality is to test some cluster software which
> have a capability to create multi-master configuration.

Why wouldn't you just fire up several copies of pgbench, one per host?

The main reason I'm dubious about this is that it's demonstrable that
pgbench itself is the bottleneck in many test scenarios. That problem
gets worse the more backends you try to have it control. You can of
course "solve" this with multiple threads in pgbench, but as soon as you
do that there's no functional benefit over just running several copies.