Re: pg15b2: large objects lost on upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Shruthi Gowda <gowdashru(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg15b2: large objects lost on upgrade
Date: 2022-08-03 14:13:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 3:51 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I also think that ">=" is a sufficient requirement.

> I don't really like this approach. Imagine that the code got broken in
> such a way that relfrozenxid and relminmxid were set to a value chosen
> at random - say, the contents of 4 bytes of unallocated memory that
> contained random garbage. Well, right now, the chances that this would
> cause a test failure are nearly 100%. With this change, they'd be
> nearly 0%.

If you have a different solution that you can implement by, say,
tomorrow, then go for it. But I want to see some fix in there
within about 24 hours, because 15beta3 wraps on Monday and we
will need at least a few days to see if the buildfarm is actually
stable with whatever solution is applied.

A possible compromise is to allow new values that are between
old value and old-value-plus-a-few-dozen.