Re: Errors: Too many open files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Errors: Too many open files
Date: 2001-12-07 15:29:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Ken <mailinglists(at)creason(dot)com> writes:
> During busy hours, Postgres and Apache are reporting
> errors that there are too many open files, and sometimes
> Postgres will crash.

You need to raise the kernel's file table size (most Unixen call
this kernel parameter NFILE; also NINODE might be interesting).
It's a system-wide limit, not a per-process limit.

> echo "8192" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> (did not seem to make a difference)

This *looks* plausible, but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to know
if that's the right incantation or not. Also, did you check to see
what the original value is? I'm not sure that 8k is more than the
default ...