Re: minor bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Torsten Förtsch <tfoertsch123(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: minor bug
Date: 2023-01-17 15:32:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> On Mon, 2023-01-16 at 19:59 +0100, Torsten Förtsch wrote:
>> So, the timestamp displayed in the log message is certainly wrong.

> If recovery stops at a WAL record that has no timestamp, you get this
> bogus recovery stop time. I think we should show the recovery stop time
> only if time was the target, as in the attached patch.

I don't think that is a tremendously useful definition: the user
already knows what recoveryStopTime is, or can find it out from
their settings easily enough.

I seem to recall that the original idea was to report the timestamp
of the commit/abort record we are stopping at. Maybe my memory is
faulty, but I think that'd be significantly more useful than the
current behavior, *especially* when the replay stopping point is
defined by something other than time.

(Also, the wording of the log message suggests that that's what
the reported time is supposed to be. I wonder if somebody messed
this up somewhere along the way.)