Re: We're leaking predicate locks in HEAD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: We're leaking predicate locks in HEAD
Date: 2019-05-07 19:55:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 5/7/19 1:46 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> After running the core regression tests with installcheck-parallel,
>> the pg_locks view sometimes shows me apparently-orphaned SIReadLock
>> entries. They accumulate over repeated test runs.

> Should we have a test for that run at/near the end of the regression
> tests? The buildfarm will actually do multiple runs like this if set up
> to do parallel checks and test multiple locales.

No, I'm not excited about that idea; I think it'd have all the same
fragility as the late lamented "REINDEX pg_class" test. A given test
script has no business assuming that other test scripts aren't
legitimately taking out predicate locks, nor assuming that prior test
scripts are fully cleaned up when it runs.