Re: PG vs macOS Mojave

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jakob Egger <jakob(at)eggerapps(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs macOS Mojave
Date: 2018-10-16 14:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jakob Egger <jakob(at)eggerapps(dot)at> writes:
> Am 25. Sep. 2018 um 06:49 schrieb Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> It's a bit scary to be adding -isysroot globally.

> This breaks building extensions with a different SDK than the server itself.

Hm, under what circumstances would that be safe or a good idea?

The concerns that strike my mind are mainly around the hazard that
configure's choices could be inappropriate for a build with a
different SDK. Given that, though, wiring -isysroot into the
configure output doesn't seem all that insane.

It's possible that we could arrange things so that the generated
Makefile.global looks like

PG_SYSROOT = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk
CPPFLAGS = -isysroot $(PG_SYSROOT)

instead of

CPPFLAGS = -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk

thus making it a bit simpler to override that path at build time.
But I'm not sure that that really moves the goalposts very far for you
in terms of ease-of-use, and anyway it might just be greasing the skids
to a non-working extension.