Re: Permissions Broken in 7.0.x?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Powell <brian(at)owlscreech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permissions Broken in 7.0.x?
Date: 2000-11-21 21:14:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Brian Powell <brian(at)owlscreech(dot)com> writes:
> % psql bobdb
> psql => create table test (
> name char(32) not null,
> age int4
> );
> psql => revoke all on test from tester;
> CHANGE
> psql => select * from test;
> ERROR: test: Permission denied.

Yeah, that's a bug --- confusion about the default permissions set.
After doing an explicit GRANT or REVOKE on a table you own, you need to
grant permissions to yourself again; the default assumption that you
have all permissions gets lost :-(. This is fixed for 7.1.

> Additionally, if I have a trigger on a table which sets the updated_date and
> updated_by on any update, and I have a view with a rule which passes any
> update to the table (thus calling the trigger), I get a permission denied.
> I am supposing that the user updating the view does not have privileges to
> the trigger? How would I grant them privileges to the trigger?

Don't think there's a way to do that right now. There's been talk of
making triggers run "setuid" to the creating user, but it's not been
done AFAIR.