Re: One byte integer support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Keith Hankin <keith105(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: One byte integer support
Date: 2005-01-07 21:01:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Keith Hankin <keith105(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I don't understand why Postgres doesn't have
> a single-byte int support. Even MySQL does.

Primarily because no one sees it as of enough value to justify the work.
Are you volunteering?

In the past there were also some issues about fragility of the type
resolution rules, but I think that as of 8.0 it would be possible to
support an int1 type without causing any major repercussions elsewhere.