Re: Call for platforms

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for platforms
Date: 2001-03-22 03:29:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
>> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> ! FATAL 2: ZeroFill(logfile 0 seg 1) failed: No such file or directory
> ! pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>>
>> Is it possible you ran out of disk space?

> Probably not.

The reason I was speculating that was that it seems pretty unlikely
that a write() call could return ENOENT, as the above appears to
suggest. I think that the errno = ENOENT value was not set by write(),
but is leftover from the expected failure of BasicOpenFile earlier in
XLogFileInit. Probably write() returned some value less than BLCKSZ
but more than zero, and so did not set errno.

Offhand the only reason I can think of for a write to a disk file
to terminate after a partial transfer is a full disk. What do you
think?