Re: using index or check in ALTER TABLE SET NOT NULL

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using index or check in ALTER TABLE SET NOT NULL
Date: 2018-03-09 14:51:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello all!
Summarizing, how i must update tests?
We want test real skip of verify phase or only result correctness?

I can verify what i do not break alter table by tests in v4 of my patch. But here is no check code path. So my feature may be broken in future without test fail. alter table will be correct regardless this feature.
Or i must test code path too? I understood Tom and will remove INFO ereport from patch anyway. But currently i have no idea how check code path. As mentioned earlier using debug ereport is uncomfortable too. Here is no suitable event trigger to track what exactly happens with table. Adding new one for test purposes seems overkill.

regards, Sergei