Re: Startup proc 30595 exited with status 512 - abort and FATAL 2: XLogFlush

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Wang, Mary Y" <mary(dot)y(dot)wang(at)boeing(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Startup proc 30595 exited with status 512 - abort and FATAL 2: XLogFlush
Date: 2010-02-02 19:52:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Wang, Mary Y" <mary(dot)y(dot)wang(at)boeing(dot)com> writes:
> I'm having a bad day. My Postgresql has this error "FATAL 2: XLogFlush: request is not satisfied". I tried to follow the instructions from a thread about looking for a core dump, but when I tried to start the postmaster, I got "/usr/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 30595 exited with status 512 - abort".

You've got a corrupted page that is affected by a WAL replay operation,
so things are pretty much a mess.

> I'm pg version is postgresql-7.1.3-2. What are my options?

[ blanches... ] You do realize that that version has been obsolete
since 2002?

pg_resetxlog was a contrib module in 7.1, so if you can find the
software repository you got postgresql from, you should be able to
install postgresql-contrib. However, I am betting this thing is so
old that you don't even have the chance at doing that.

Most likely you're going to have to go back to your last backup.
After which, you should make it a priority to get onto a less
antique version of Postgres (and the underlying OS too, no doubt).