Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance
Date: 2010-04-28 00:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Huh? How is a filter as coarse as an oldest-running-XID filter going
>> to prevent that? And aren't we initializing from trustworthy data in
>> ProcArrayApplyRecoveryInfo, anyway?
>>
>> I still say it's useless.

> Quite possibly. Your looking at other code outside of this patch. I'm
> happy that you do so, but is it immediately related? I can have another
> look when we finish this.

Well, it's nearby anyway. I've committed the present patch (with a
number of fixes). While I was looking at it I came across several
things in the existing code that I think are either wrong or at least
inadequately documented --- the above complaint is just the tip of the
iceberg. I'm going to make another pass over it to see if I'm just
missing things, and then report back.