Re: LWLockAcquire with priority

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LWLockAcquire with priority
Date: 2008-10-10 16:47:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This will prevent commits being stalled when we occasionally switch clog
> and multixact pages, plus it also stops commits from being stalled when
> there are heavy writers in progress.

Exactly how would a priority mechanism prevent stalling? If the lock is
held for a long time, it's held for a long time.

The point of the LWLock mechanism is to be lightweight, so I'm
disinclined to put additional complexity into it without a *really*
good reason. Making it any slower would cost us in many places.