Re: Clean up MinGW def file generation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clean up MinGW def file generation
Date: 2019-10-18 13:00:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-Oct-17, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 09:00:23AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I think we can clean this up and just have the regular ddl.def built
>>> normally at build time if required.
>>> Does anyone know more about this?

> Well, yes, but that code originates from much earlier. For example
> 2a63c1602d9d (Tom Lane, Oct. 2004) is the one that created the libpq
> ones.

Yeah, the comment that Peter complained about is mine. I believe the
desire to avoid depending on "sed" at build time was focused on our
old support for building libpq with Borland C (and not much else).
Since this makefile infrastructure is now only used for MinGW, I agree
we ought to be able to quit shipping those files in tarballs.

I think there could be some .gitignore cleanup done along with this.
Notably, I see exclusions for /exports.list in several places, but no
other references to that name --- isn't that an intermediate file that
we used to generate while creating these files?