Re: Postgres on IBM z/OS 2.2.0 and 2.3.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: parveen mehta <sim_mehta(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres on IBM z/OS 2.2.0 and 2.3.0
Date: 2019-11-16 15:33:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

parveen mehta <sim_mehta(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I am researching whether an postgres installation can be done on Unix system services(USS) in z/OS. USS is a POSIX compliant OS on z/OS and i wonder if you have any experience with installing it there that you can share with me. I would be highly appreciative of your comments and thoughts.

The last discussion around this [1] concluded that you'd probably crash
and burn due to z/OS wanting to use EBCDIC encoding. There's a lot of
ASCII-related assumptions in our code, and nobody is interested in
trying to get rid of them.

It's possible that you could run the server in ASCII and treat EBCDIC
as a client-only encoding, which would limit the parts of the system
that would have to be cleansed of ASCII-isms to libpq and src/bin/.
But that's already a nontrivial headache I suspect.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/BLU437-SMTP4B3FF36035D8A3C3816D49C160%40phx.gbl