Re: How can I avoid Frozenxid wraparound on failover to a standby(PITR) database?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Arctic Toucan <arctic_toucan(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can I avoid Frozenxid wraparound on failover to a standby(PITR) database?
Date: 2008-09-05 18:45:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Arctic Toucan <arctic_toucan(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> My standard settings in the config file are:
> autovacuum_freeze_max_age = 2,000,000,000
> vacuum_freeze_min_age = 100,000,000

Ah, well, there's the issue. It could be expected that no tuple
freezing would happen before autovacuum_freeze_max_age. I'd take a zero
off that value I think --- you're not leaving yourself a lot of daylight
between freeze_max_age and wraparound. You could get away with that
setting in a smaller database that didn't take so long to vacuum, but
in a bigger one you want to freeze a bit more aggressively IMHO.