Re: Any advice about function caching?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Any advice about function caching?
Date: 2005-11-07 23:05:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> My current code works by using MemoryContextCreate() to create a child
> context to MessageContext and using the Init()/Delete() functions to
> initialise and destroy a cache in the local backend. However, this doesn't
> really work particularly well when using cursors and prepared queries since
> it appears what I should be doing is using a cache per portal rather than a
> cache per backend.

If you want per-query state, keep it in a data structure linked from the
fcinfo->flinfo->fn_extra field (physically, store it in
fcinfo->flinfo->fn_mcxt, or create a subcontext of that if you wish).

If you need to get control at query shutdown to free non-palloc'd
resources, RegisterExprContextCallback may help. (I think such
callbacks are only called during *successful* query shutdown, though,
so if you have external library state you need to clean up anyway,
you'll need some other approach to keeping track of it ... maybe a
permanent data structure instead of a per-query one.)

src/backend/utils/fmgr/funcapi.c and src/backend/executor/functions.c
might be useful examples.