Re: Fetching generated keys

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Mike Clements <mclement(at)progress(dot)com>
Cc: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL JDBC List" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fetching generated keys
Date: 2007-03-05 23:48:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 5-Mar-07, at 5:19 PM, Mike Clements wrote:

> I understand that currval is the way to select the value that was used
> for the inserted row. I've been doing this for quite some time now
> - it
> works.
>
> BUT... That works only in a perfect world with perfectly isolated
> transactions. The real world doesn't meet this theoretical perfection.
> The default transaction isolation level of Postgres is "read
> committed",
> which means somebody else's insert (and sequence increment), once
> committed, could be read by my transaction.
>
> The FAQ you posted suggests that "currval" uses a level of isolation
> that is more strict than the default "read committed". If so, setting
> isolation level to serializable would be unnecessary. Is that true? Or
> should I do it just to be safe? I'd hate to do it if unnecessary
> due to
> the performance and locking implications.
sequences in general use a level of isolation which is different.
They cannot be rolled back after incrementing.

> Also, is there any way the JDBC driver will (someday?) support the
> Connection.preparedStatement() commands that would eliminate this
> entire
> issue *and* do it all in a single call, obviating the need to send a
> separate SQL command just to get the generated key?
Someone will have to generate SQL to get the key. Either the driver
or the user.

So you have two choices.

Generated the key before inserting, and insert it
insert using the default, or nextval and use currval to get the value
inserted.

Dave