Re: Add A Glossary

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Roger Harkavy <rogerharkavy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-06-17 12:52:19
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 17.06.20 02:09, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2020-Jun-09, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>
>> Can you agree to the following definitions? If no, we can alternatively
>> formulate for each of them: "Under discussion - currently not defined". My
>> proposals are inspired by chapter 2.2 Concepts: "Tables are grouped into
>> databases, and a collection of databases managed by a single PostgreSQL
>> server instance constitutes a database cluster."
> After sleeping on it a few more times, I don't oppose the idea of making
> "instance" be the running state and "database cluster" the on-disk stuff
> that supports the instance. Here's a patch that does things pretty much
> along the lines you suggested.
>
> I made small adjustments to "SQL objects":
>
> * SQL objects in schemas were said to have their names unique in the
> schema, but we failed to say anything about names of objects not in
> schemas and global objects. Added that.
>
> * Had example object types for global objects and objects not in
> schemas, but no examples for objects in schemas. Added that.
>

> Some programs whose output we could tweak per this:
> pg_ctl
>> pg_ctl is a utility to initialize, start, stop, or control a PostgreSQL server.
>> -D, --pgdata=DATADIR location of the database storage area
> to:
>> pg_ctl is a utility to initialize or control a PostgreSQL database cluster.
>> -D, --pgdata=DATADIR location of the database directory
> pg_basebackup:
>> pg_basebackup takes a base backup of a running PostgreSQL server.
> to:
>> pg_basebackup takes a base backup of a PostgreSQL instance.

+1, with two formal changes:

-  Rearrangement of term "Data page" to meet alphabetical order.

-  Add </glossdef> in one case to meet xml-well-formedness.

One last question: The definition of "Data directory" reads "... A
cluster's storage space comprises the data directory plus ..." and
'cluster' links to '"glossary-instance". Shouldn't it link to
"glossary-db-cluster"?

--

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size